Online picture book class with an experienced editor
• Ever dreamed of becoming a published author or illustrator?
• Want to write picture books, but don’t know how to start?
• Do you wish you could write as well as illustrate your picture books?
• Are you stuck on a story?
• Not sure which of your projects is the most marketable?
I can help! Together, we will work in a friendly, supportive environment to cook up delicious picture books for children aged 0–6 years. During this 6-week online course, you will:
• explore basic picture book structure and themes
• create stories with strong characters and plots
• begin to discover your unique style and voice
• get insider knowledge about how to approach publishers and agents professionally and sell your work
• receive personalized, one-to-one and group feedback on your work
How does it work? Our class will be limited to 4 people. Each week, we will meet online on a weekday from 12:30-2:30 pm* to kick-start your writing.
(* tbc: please email me if you prefer a different time/evening course)
We will begin each session with a webinar to help you shape one aspect of your picture book. The second half of our session will be dedicated to workshoping your stories and answering your questions. You will be invited to submit your stories for 1-1 written editorial feedback.
Week 1: Figuring out your story – what makes a good picture book? Genres and universal themes.
Week 2: Understanding your characters – what makes a memorable and child-centred character?
Week 3: Putting it down on paper – creating a sound picture book structure.
Week 4: Building up to a clear turning point – top tips on plotting, pacing and rhythm.
Week 5: Creating an opening that will grab readers and an ending that delivers.
Week 6: Tightening up your story – tips on revision and submission.
At the end of six weeks, you will have a new or polished picture book text.
Who's it for? Suitable for beginner and intermediate level authors and illustrators who would like a more structured coaching experience: You have made a start at writing children's picture books. You have been writing for years, dream of getting published and are stuck! You keep getting rejections and don’t know why, or you are an illustrator wanting editorial help to write your own stories. If you aren’t sure about the best course for you, please contact me!
Next course start: please email me for dates
Get off the slush pile and sign up now!
This online picture book course includes 6 weeks of 2-hour tutorials, top tips on key aspects of picture book publishing and weekly 1-1 bespoke, detailed editorial reviews of your picture books.
We will work in a friendly, supportive environment to cook up delicious
picture books for children aged 0-6 years.You will also have the opportunity to work in a small group and learn and be inspired by other writers.